Monday 29 December 2014

Project: Red and Black Houndstooth Shawl in Merino

Before the holidays we had dinner with some friends and one of them told me her favourite colours were red and black.  Well, that just screamed out "houndstooth" to me.  I love that colour combination and I was pretty sure I could weave something nice. 

For this project I chose a wonderfully soft merino wool from Malabrigo in Ravelry Red and Black that I picked up at Romni Wools on Queen Street West in Toronto.  Each skein contained about 210 yards, so I picked up 5 skeins of each colour (for safety) to ensure I could set up a 100+ inch warp across 300 ends and not run out of wool. 

Rather than using my 12-dent heddle (as I did for the lilac and black shawl), I went with the 10-dent heddle after seeing that the yarn could comfortably work on even the 8-dent heddle.  I was pleased with how easy it was to sley the reed using the 10-dent heddle (much easier than the 12-dent).  The wool was also very easy to weave using the 10-dent heddle, not rubbing overmuch on the reed and throwing off only a slight amount of lint. 

This wool is very stretchy however, so I had some concerns about how evenly it would weave up, but it turned out the weave was fairly balanced and it appears my concerns were misplaced. 

This is your typical 2 x 2 houndstooth pattern - - 2 ends of each colour alternating across the reed with 2 picks of each colour for the entire length of the warp. 

I was hoping for a shawl that measured more than 70" long by 24" - 27", and the finished shawl after washing and trimming ended up being 72" x 26" - - right in the sweet spot.


 
Santa brought me a fringe twister for Christmas so my next big work will have twisted tassels.  The ends for this project were left in a simple fringe that untwisted after washing into a fluffy end treatment that is kind of visually interesting, if nothing else. 

I hope my friend likes her shawl!


No comments:

Post a Comment