Saturday 30 May 2015

Project: 3/1 Lace Shawl in Merino Wool


It has been a while since I have posted, and I have been remiss because I have actually been checking projects off my list - - I have just been too busy weaving to blog.

For this project, I wanted to do some textured weaving for someone dear to my heart.  I was told that her favourite colour was light yellow, and I thought that a light colour like this would be the perfect choice to showcase a 3/1 weft float lace pattern worked using my trusty Kromski Harp rigid heddle loom and a single pickup stick (lovingly handmade by the Nerd). 

For this project I went back to my faithful standby the Purple Purl wool emporium for some lovely Tanis hand-dyed DK weight superwash merino wool in a bright Buttercup yellow.  The weight was perfect for the 10-dent heddle.  Fresh off the loom the shawl was 23 1/2" x 74 1/2" [excluding fringe] and after washing it measured 22" x 73". 

I used Betty Lynn Davenport's fabulous book Textures and Patterns for the Rigid Heddle Loom as the guide because I simply love the look of the 3/1 weft float lace - - it's especially nice after washing, when the texture really comes into its own (see the bottom photo, below). 


I warped up the loom in the usual way with about 110" warp across 240 ends.  For finishing I hemstitched in groups of 4 ends which I then twisted into tassels of 2 x 4 ends each x 30 tassels across each hem. 



Tassels in progress...
The finished shawl is a warm butter yellow colour, very soft to the touch and warm, thanks to the wool.  I am very pleased with this project and how it turned out, and hope that the recipient likes it as much as I do.
Finished shawl before washing and trimming woven-in ends
Finished shawl after washing and trimming

Finished shawl after washing and trimming

No comments:

Post a Comment