Saturday 17 October 2015

Project: Goose-eye twill tea towel series (blue variation)


Having finished the goose-eye twill pattern in the cheerful rainbow range I wanted to work up a set of tea towels in a single colour range - in this case, blues and violets. 
The setup and pattern were exactly the same as for the rainbow towels.  I measured out 4 yards of warp in the 6 chosen accent colours and a bleached white background.  The colours went from light to dark across the reed and reflected back from dark to light at the midline. 

The weaving was quick and easy once again.  Well, as "quick" and "easy" as handweaving on a table loom can ever be.  Which is not all that quick or easy in the global scheme of things, but pretty quick and easy as far as handweaving is concerned.

I was able to measure out my warp using the built in warping board on my trusty Kromski Harp loom (as is my custom) and then transfered my chains of measured warp to my apron rod by myself with no difficulty.  Arranging the warp threads in the raddle and rolling the warp onto the back beam was similarly quick and easy.  It tool only a single (full!) day to measure my warp from cones to set up the loom and get everything ready to weave, which is pretty quick as these things go.





After completing weaving four tea towels each in the goose-eye twill I cut the towels apart and then ironed the hems in preparation for machine hemming.  After hemming it was simplicity itself to throw the hemmed towels into the washer and dryer to finish them prior to trimming off all the loose threads. 

I really really love the classic simplicity of this pattern as well as the wonderful softness of the finished towels.  The colours in this "blue period" series will be perfect for a certain Nerd's mother (these are her favourite colours) but I can see many people liking this colour selection.


I have a real desire to work a similar set of goose-eye twill in a lovely green range, and have ordered the yarn for this next project.  For now I may measure out another rainbow towel, but this one using the natural cotton and a herringbone twill for a change of pace.  We shall see. 


No comments:

Post a Comment